12:10 p.m.–12:40 p.m.
Making DISQUS Realtime.
- Audience level:
What does it take to add realtime functionality to a truly “web scale” app. The result is the DISQUS realtime system, a highly concurrent system for allowing web clients to subscribe to arbitrary events in the DISQUS infrastructure.
- Overview of the architecture (Redis + Kafka + Gevent + Flask) and why those choices were made
- Which technology was #FailScale for us
- Numbers! BIG NUMBERS! How much concurrency we have and msg/s we are supporting with realtime
- How did we do this without using web sockets or long polling?
- How we baked high availability into the application, not just the infrastructure
- Overview of the hardware involved
- Lessons learned (what broke hard, what worked awesome)
Suggested audience experience:
Medium/Advanced level experience
- Familiarity with Flask is good.
- Redis knowledge is mandatory.
- Gevent/Greenlet knowledge is mandatory.