Notes from
the Instructor

General installation help: 6:30-8:00PM Tuesday & Wednesday in Open Spaces.

Introduction to Django

Hello Attendees - I hope you're as excited about this tutorial as I am to teach it. PyCon will be providing a set of detailed handouts in the tutorial so you can follow along with the code. But if you want to get the most out of it, it would be great if you could follow along on your computer!

If you want to follow along, and try things out yourself (it's easy!) You'll need to lay a bit of groundwork before attending the tutorial. Don't assume that the network at PyCon will be perfect - so try to download things in advance if possible.

You'll want to make sure you meet the following pre-requisites before the tutorial:

1. Python installed (versions 2.5-2.7, Python 3.x is not supported by Django 1.3, nor are Python versions earlier than 2.5)

2. Everyone attending the tutorial should have already run the command below (or some equivalent command(s)) on their systems - sudo or administrative access might be required to do this (depending on how you are set up; you may prefer to install this in a virtualenv):

easy_install django==1.3

3. If you like, you can have some basic HTML pages, CSS, and graphics already installed on your workstation (so your pages can be "pretty") But that's by no means a requirement (I'll be building it all from scratch in the tutorial.)

Any items you have in #3 you'll be converting into templates in the tutorial - make sure they are small - I'd hate for you to get bogged down troubleshooting CSS and HTML and fall behind as a result!

We'll be using SQLite as our database (so there ia no database pre-requisite.)

My email is chander@otg-nc.com if you have any questions about these instructions.

community/tutorials/327 Recently modified by yarkot: Feb. 29, 2012, 2:10 p.m. (History) Edit