Travel grants are provided to assist those who might otherwise not be able to attend PyCon US. This includes major diversity and outreach programs through PyLadies and Python User Groups to attract new speakers, students, and attendees.
PyCon US has a large travel grant program funded by the PSF and PyLadies. Travel grant recipients receive support for some or all of their expenses, including transportation, lodging, and childcare. We actively encourage people to apply for travel grants and welcome applications from students. While we wish we could give grants to everyone who applies, our funds are limited.
Our goal is to get the most people to PyCon US by optimizing our funds.
- Because PyCon US is the largest Python conference on Earth, it’s a meeting place for Python developers from around the world. Therefore, the travel grant award process is designed to enhance PyCon US by assisting all types of attendees, including speakers, tutorial presenters, and notable open-source contributors.
- The travel grant program is one of the ways that the PSF supports a more diverse PyCon US.
- The process attempts to support people with relatively lower incomes so that Pythonistas (both current and aspiring) from various locations, Python experience, and backgrounds can join the Python community.
In short, we use the travel grant budget to bring individuals to PyCon US who would otherwise not be able to attend the conference.
The travel grant program nurtures the community by making PyCon US more accessible. It is true to the spirit of PyCon US by helping to make the information and interactions available to everyone.
The mission of the Python Software Foundation is to promote, protect, and advance the Python programming language, and to support and facilitate the growth of a diverse and international community of Python programmers. We believe that the travel grant program is aligned with these goals.
- December 6, 2022: Travel grant applications open
- January 21, 2023: Travel grant applications close at 23:59:59 on January 21st AOE
- January 30, 2023: Travel grants awarded
- February 10, 2023: Deadline to accept/decline travel grant awards
- March 1, 2023: Receipts and secure document portals open
- April 20 - April 23, 2023: Disbursement sessions at PyCon US
Disbursement of funds will be onsite during the conference in USD. For domestic payments, you can choose between receiving an ACH, Zelle, or physical check in USD; international payments can be made via wire transfer, or anyone can receive PayPal or Wise.
No funds will be disbursed before the event. Only those that attend the conference, confirm identity in person, and have submitted receipts will be reimbursed.
Travel Grant FAQ
Please don’t hesitate to email email@example.com with questions.