Leer esta página en español
Do you have a couple of hours to give? PyCon US is organized and run with the help of many volunteers from the Python community. This year we’re looking for over 100 volunteer hours to help make sure everything runs smoothly.
Everyone who is attending PyCon US is welcome to volunteer, but you must be registered to volunteer. All help is very much appreciated. If we cannot find your name registered, we will delete your name from the sign up sheets. Thank you for your consideration!
Pro Tip: Sign-up to be a Session Moderator or Tutorial Host – it’s a great opportunity to meet the speakers!
Tutorial Hosts (Wed - Thur)
Session Moderators (Fri-Sat)
Activity Feed Moderators (Fri-Sun)
PyCon Active Helpers (Wed-Sun)
Open Spaces Moderators (Fri-Sat)
Volunteer: Please read and understand the duties before you sign up. Follow the links below for complete descriptions.
Volunteer: Sign-up for an hour slot helping with a tutorial
- We’re looking for one or two “Tutorial Hosts” for each tutorial to help welcome participants as they arrive.
- Tutorials are virtual and will require a host to begin the session and moderate the chat during the session. This includes welcoming attendees via chat, introducing the code of conduct procedures, and getting attendees to introduce themselves. Attendees may ask questions for the presenter and the host is responsible to bring these to the attention of the presenter when time allows. This role also includes helping answer questions that are not related to the tutorial and being the in-between for PyCon staff and the tutorial participants.
- The volunteers will be the Zoom 'hosts' for the tutorial and be required to begin the session 15 minutes prior to scheduled time and allow attendees access.
- We require that the hosts remain in the tutorial throughout the entire session (2.5 hr)
- On May 11th at 12:30 pm Eastern Time, we will host a mandatory meeting for tutorial hosts to review responsibilities and answer any questions
Session Moderator sign up can be found on the schedule page: https://us.pycon.org/2021/schedule/talks/
- Click the [+] for the block and sign up to assist in moderating that session block
- The Charlas sessions will require communication in Spanish
- We are asking volunteers to moderate a 90 minute block, 3-25 minute pre-recorded sessions that will be streamed live. Moderating includes welcoming attendees via chat, no video is required, introducing the code of conduct procedures, and getting attendees to introduce themselves. This role also includes helping answer questions that are not related to the session and being the in-between for PyCon staff and the session participants.
- Click the [+] for the Sponsor Workshop moderation. Volunteers are asked to moderate one 45 minute session.
- You need to be sign in to us.pycon.org/2021 to select a session block. We will contact you using the email you are registered with.
- NOTE: Times on the schedule page are listed in your local time. The conference will launch on Eastern/US time
- You will be contacted with details on access to the virtual platform closer to the event
- On May 10th at 11:30 am Eastern Time, we will host a mandatory meeting for session moderators to review responsibilities and answer any questions
Activity Feed Moderators
Volunteer: Sign up to help with the conference chat activity feed!
- We are looking for up to two volunteers per time slot to assist us with the chat feed!
- This will be the general conference chat where folks say hi, we make announcements, and engage with attendees in a general sense.
- Moderating the feed will include approving messages, reminding folks of code of conduct procedures, announcing upcoming talks
Volunteer: Sign up to help with PyCon Active!
- Do you like to run, jog, walk, bike, skate, do any sorts of exercise? If so, you can help us with our virtual challenge this year
- Throughout the dates of PyCon we will encourage folks to track their activity (using Strava) and run a challenge during the event dates
- This role will include communication coordination with other volunteers, outreach prior to the conference, and during the conference.
Volunteer: Sign up to help with Open Spaces!
- We want PyCon US to be as engaging as possible even if a virtual event.
- We have virtual "lounge table" designated for Open Spaces that will allow for visual and audio interactions
- Moderators will be asked to be present in the lounges to kick off each Open Space and help answer questions
- Moderators will also be asked to provide each Open Space "lounge" with Code of Conduct procedures
Thank you for helping with PyCon US!