Most (virtually all) bars in the Atlanta area are also full-service restaurants, so you don't need to worry about a case of the munchies while you're out enjoying a few drinks.
Last call in the Atlanta metro area varies depending on which city you're actually in, but the ballpark is usually 3 - 4 a.m. Individual bars often close earlier, though, so it pays to check ahead.
The drinking age in Georgia is 21 years.
Places to Grab a Pint
These are some good places to grab a beer, particularly beers that are a little (or a lot) less than mainstream.
- Brick Store Pub - At 125 East Court Square in Decatur, GA, this pub is a bit of a drive but easily accessible from MARTA. It specializes in Belgian Ales, but offers a wide variety of great beers both on tap and in the bottle.
- The Porter Beer Bar in the Little 5 Points area has become one of the top destinations for the city's beer geeks. With over 430 beers and a good selection of premium spirits, you're sure to find something you enjoy.
- Max Lager's - At 320 Peachtree Street, it's 1 block north of the hotel. The food and beers are both excellent, though not as exotic as some. What's on Tap?
- Mon - Sat 11:30 am -10:30 pm
- Sun 4 pm -10:30 pm
- Bar open daily until 11pm or later
- 5 Seasons Westside - is nearby as well, but you'll probably want to cab it or take a MARTA bus. The food and the beer are outstanding. 5 Seasons is more likely to have something a little out of the ordinary on tap. What's on Tap?
- Twain's is a popular destination amongst local beer aficionados. It's a fun place to shoot some pool and have a pint. What's on Tap?
If cocktails are more your speed, you may want to try one of these:
- H Harper Station is fairly new, but it comes highly recommended if you're a fan of fine spirits or a classic cocktail. If you're longing for a Sazerac or a Vieux Carré, this might be the place for you. Plan to take a cab if you go.
- Eastside Lounge is a more modern take on a cocktail lounge, targeted at creative people. This is another location that's best reached by car/cab.
- Monday – Thursday: 9 p.m. – 2:30 a.m.
- Friday – Saturday: 8 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.
- Sunday: closed
Are you looking for a hole in the wall with great live music? Maybe one of these is what you're looking for.
- Northside Tavern is an institution. It has the sort of gritty feel you'd expect from a place that is consistently listed among the best Blues venues in the city. Its location is conveniently near much of the new development occurring on the west side of town, and only .4 miles from 5 Seasons Westside. There IS a cover on Friday and Saturday.
- Fat Matt's Rib Shack is another legendary spot among the locals. You'll probably wind up waiting in line for some of the signature ribs, but enthusiasts will tell you they're worth it. While you can enjoy a cold beer with your food, this might be a more appropriate entry under "Restaurants".
- Churchill Grounds is near the historic Fox Theater and just a mile from the hotel. It is consistently ranked one of the best places in Atlanta to hear modern jazz. There is a cover and a minimum purchase (per purchase, per set) on Friday and Saturday. The first set on those nights is at 9:30p.m.